Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Good Days


This morning I woke up a little late - it seems in my sleep stupor last night I had forgotten to set my alarm for the morning.  While only about 5 minutes late, it had me rolling out of the wrong side of the bed.  Then upon coming downstairs, I realized I had not prepared all the stuff I take with me to work every day very well last night.  However, as I was getting into the shower this morning, I heard your muffled cry from the monitor.  During my whole routine, I could not help but hope that you were waking up for the day and I would get to see you awake before I left.  Well my wish came true - it is only the second morning since I started back to work that you've been awake before I left.  And while I was now running more than 10 minutes later than when I usually leave the house, not to mention, thinking about how bad traffic was going to be, I could not help myself by stopping to enjoy life.  Instead of worrying about all of that, I put it aside and decided that your smiling face was way more important.  So I stopped to greet you while you ate and watched a huge smile roll across your face.  However, I did not want to disturb you too much, because I know how distracted you sometimes get.  So I went about my business finishing up the stuff I needed to do to get myself ready to head out the door and then I returned to see you again.  By this time you had finished eating and so I got to see your smile and watch you laugh.   And while this only added to how behind I was, I no longer had a care in the world.  Your smiling face and laughs were just what I needed to remind me that sometimes you need to stop and enjoy the little things around you.  My work would be waiting when I got there and I was staying later for a meeting in the afternoon - so why rush when I could hang out with you a little bit.

It may have only been a coincidence but the first song I heard on the radio upon getting into the car to start my commute was "Time is Love" by Josh Turner.  It made me smile from ear to ear.  I first heard this song while feeding you in the early hours of the morning during your first month of life and the lyrics could not remind me more of what I was experiencing this morning.  Of course, I was also smiling because it reminded me of our middle of the night times together and those wonderful 12 weeks we spent together when I was not heading to work on weekdays.


"I know I have to put in the hours, make the money when the sunlight shines.
But anything I got to get done, it can get done some other time.

Time is love, gotta run.
Love to hang out longer, but I got someone who waits,
Waits for me, and right now [he's] where I need to be.
Time is love, gotta run.

I only get so many minutes, don't want to spend them all on the clock.
In the time that we've spent talking, how many kisses have I lost?"

Little man...thanks for reminding me this morning that sometimes, I need not roll out of the wrong side of the bed because I am five minutes later than usual.  Instead, I will remember that maybe this will offer me the chance to see you awake and spend some quality time with you before I leave for work.  That after all, was the best start to my day, and set the stage for the great day that I had today.


I'm sure you will hate me when you're older...but I cannot resist sharing the cute sleeping pictures from today. 



No comments:

Post a Comment