I'm finding it hard to believe that two weeks ago today you were born, but it's true and so I will continue to try to wrap my brain around it. We had a lot of things happen today - but before we get to that, let's do a quick, run down of the weekend.
This weekend has been named "visitors weekend" because you had several visitors. I always laughed when people told me while I was pregnant with you that after you were born the visitors would not be for us anymore, but for you. I knew it would be true, especially after I saw your handsome face and fell in love with you myself. I will count myself lucky that we have plenty of visitors to see you and that we get to see them also when they come to see you. The visitors started on Thursday night - our family friend Jean stopped on her way home from work to drop off some food for your dad and I plus she got to hold you too. Then Friday morning your Godmother Renee came for her second visit and brought Great Grandma Hallow with her. Friday night, your Godfather Mike (also your uncle) and Aunt Cherise came to visit and held you (you are the smallest baby Uncle Mike has ever held and he was a natural with you). On Saturday, Grandma Jean brought Grandma Jayne, Great Aunt Judee, and Great Grandma Hallow up for a quick visit. During that visit we got this 4 generation picture (Dad and I are also looking forward to getting another 4 generation picture in April when we go to Iowa with Grandpa Nick and Great Grandpa Jack).
Finally, on Sunday, Grandma Jean and Grandpa Charlie stopped by one more time before they headed home. You had a busy weekend meeting lots of people and being held by loved ones. You are a blessed little boy.
Now, back to today - you're two weeks old! Today was the first day you and I were on our own - Dad was back at work and no other helpers were around. We managed to get through the night time feedings without much help from Dad and then we made it through the day successfully (although I think you were really excited to see Dad when he got home today because your face lit up and you stayed awake for the next couple hours).
We visited your doctor today too for a weight check. You weighed in at 8 lbs 4 ounces today. This was a good sign to everyone as you surpassed you birth weight and it means that you are no longer on scheduled feedings. We also met your doc today (she was out last week when you had your first appointment) and she was very happy with you. She had several questions about you and was very impressed with your growth over the last week. So impressed that she told me you were now an on demand feeder and no longer needed to be woken up every 3 hours. We will see how this goes over the next several days as it's something I'm struggling to comprehend myself.
We also visited my doc today and was told I'm doing well too. Everyone in the doc's office thought you were handsome and were in shock by how big you were with only being born at 35 weeks 5 days gestation age. It had me thinking on the ride home that next Tuesday was really the date we were expecting you and how surreal this feeling, being a mom, still is to me. It makes my heart feel content to know that you're fulfilled and have all your needs met. I think this is the feeling that everyone told me you can never truly understand until you are a parent. Well I'm there, in full force, and I'm loving it. No matter what you are doing, you bring a smile to my face and a warmth in my heart. I have a sneaking suspicion that your dad feels the same way about all of this too, so you always remember from the start that you brighten our day no matter what and we will love you forever.
Now, onto some fun pics. I could not help myself on Saturday when I looked up from reading and here you and Dad were snoozing on the floor. I'm sure this will not be the last time I can get a picture like this one.
And of course, this two week post would not be complete without your size picture. I think you have changed a lot over the last week. I can even tell in your cheeks, arms, and legs. I'm sure others might be able to notice the almost 1 lb that you gained in just over a week. All I can say is keep growing little man, you are exceeding the goals your neonatal nurse practitioners originally had for you!
Awwww, I love reading about the little guy, but also about your journey into motherhood. It's a wild, scary, amazing thing. Welcome :)
ReplyDelete